Friday, April 1, 2011

Airplane Reading @ Defunct Magazine

LET’S BEGIN. What exactly happened to the legendary Pan Am Airlines? In its 60-year run (1930-1991), Pan Am was the first to introduce international service, cabin attendants, emergency safety procedures, cockpit computers, fear of flying courses, and hot meals. Of course, some older folks remember Pan Am very well, but it isn’t much of a stretch to say that in fifty years no one will remember Pan Am except for its logos stamped onto vintage travel bags. For that matter, no one will remember the struggles and wars of the early twenty-first century like we now remember them. Last week, for example and for a reason I can’t recall, I asked my research assistant if he knew the year of the My Lai Massacre. “My who?” he said.

Continue reading...